ChickenScratch

Follow the daily aspects of a city boy turned Chicken Farmer. after pursueing the American Dream for 30 years, The author finally bought a small farm in the middle of southern Tennessee. Quite a diffrent look from Chicago that is for sure.

Monday, June 26, 2006

Chicken Scratch 3 1/2

One more day, and i will be 50... now that is one scary thought, nobody I grew up with would ever think i would make it this far...

But tommorow, June 27th, 2006 will mark my half century on this earth...
Who would of ever thought that I would be the Chicken Farmer in middle Tennessee... Who would of thought that I would be living on a small farm, growing what ya eat, selling off the excess and giving away things to boot.

Not even me, Times haven't always been the greatest, But i'm not on unemployment, I do have a roof over my head, and my truck is paid for, so that must count as something...

Family seems like millions of miles away, my family now-adays are the e-mails I get from my brother, and an occasional hi from my cousin Tom... Every body else must of thought I dropped off the face of the earth when I moved to Tennessee. Cause some of em I haven't talked to in thirty years...

Today, life was simple, I fed the birds, collected 5 eggs and watered the mater plants.. I did drive to the local gas station so I could get 5 bucks worth of gas for the lawn tractor... I then proceded to mow the lawn for two hours plus... We cut approximatly 3 acres of grass around the house...

One day the flower gardens will take over the lawn.. But for now I cut it...
We did manage to put in a double border wildflower garden last year, it's almost 120 feet long... Some day it will be 1000 feet, or at least thats what I'm hoping for...
We use them mostly for cut flowers. but I have been placing an occasional herb betweenst them.. At least I hope that was a word... We like flowers, at least now I do.. growing up in Illinois I didn't, in fact I really hated them all... couldn't eat em, so I never planted them.. Times have changed...

Going out to the walking path later to pick blackberrys... I was promised a pie this week, if i pick enough....

O.k. bye...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home