ChickenScratch

Follow the daily aspects of a city boy turned Chicken Farmer. after pursueing the American Dream for 30 years, The author finally bought a small farm in the middle of southern Tennessee. Quite a diffrent look from Chicago that is for sure.

Friday, June 23, 2006

Chicken Farmer..... That's me

Howdy,

Feelin a little red tonite....

Must be a farmer's tan... But what if you don't farm, I have never heard of say a football players tan, a golfer's tan, etc... Why do people pick on farmers ? Did you know that farmers, bring the fruits and vegetables to your table.... The milk to your fridge, the eggs to your neighbors doorstep, oops that slipped....

I salute my fellow farmers, thier families and thier way of life.

Remember Hee Haw ?

Ya can stand in a cornfield and salute the small towns of America... believe it or not....

Thirty years it took me to buy a piece of America... I bought this small farm in 2002....A much smaller version of my ultimate dream, but no less mine...

Our farm consists of 4.93 acres,

We grow most of our own vegetables, We like squash, maters, and green beans and peppers, so our gardens consist of mostly these..We have 6 Peach trees, 6 Plum trees, 2 Nectarine Trees, so within the next five years I should be able to make a fruit salad... The peach trees are older, they bear fruit, but only if the bugs let us.... We are 100% Organic, we only use beneficial insects and natural sprays that are organic....

We are lucky to have planted a Strawberry Patch, can walk the paths on the rear of our property to pick Blackberrys, Muscadines, and fresh herbs....

I don't claim to know everthing about gardening, farming, or agriculture in general... I want to live the simple life, for the most part what is left of it...

My gardening, and projects were put abruptly on hold September 22, 2005 when my entire left side shut down and led to me being life flighted 65 miles to Maury County Hospital... the doctors said it was a massive stroke, the helicopter medics claimed me as a cardiac arrest, and by the time I got off the helicopter an hour later, the folkes in the emergency room were waiting with gelled paddles and expecting the worse senerio... To thier dismay, my heart was fine !

The next day, A fine young lady doctor came and told me I had a pinched nerve that had temporarily shut down my entire left hand side, no feeling in arm, leg, foot, and with a temporary loss of full speech...This was only after numerous tests with abbrviated initials.. Ct, Mri, Ultrasound, too many to list... To thier amazement, the pinched nerve eased up and I was able to be released...

I was refered to an Orthopedic Surgeon in Columbia Tennessee, this quack of a doctor touched my hand and said nothing was wrong and asked me to return in a month or two for another exam. I never saw him again, and my family doctor refered me to another Orthopedic surgeon who ran more tests, made me come back numerous times and eventually replaced C5 C6 and C7 of my spinal cord. You see the pinched nerve was caused by these vertibrae breaking up and I thank this fine doctor for all he has done..

I really don't ever expect to be fully functioning in my body movements ever again, It is painful now to walk, sit, shit, and other normal daily routines such as sleep or holding my head up... I must live with I am told, the repacements bones ( Titanium ) were fused after my neck was slit and the old bones were removed... They wanted to do this out-patient but because of my size they kept me overnite to keep an eye on me...

How did this come about you ask ? I work as a drug and rehabilitation Counselor at a juvenielle facilty... a prison so to speak for troubled youths... One day I was having a normal conversation with one of the theriputic residents on my ward... Out of the blue he pushed me over a chair arm and pinned me by my shoulders against the floor, my feet and legs still over the chair arm, he then preceded to jump on my chest pinning me more and began to hit me in the face twenty something times eventually not satisfied so he began to kick me in the head area... All this while other residents viewed the escapade... One resident finally, it seemed forever went for help....

I was told to walk to an emergency room that day, across the street and there they gave me one pain pill and sent me home...

Years later the bones in my neck began to break up causing eventually for them to sit on top of each other pinching the nerve that led to my side shutting down...

Today I have some use of my arm, but not all, I cannot turn my head to either side nor can I lift heavy objects without massive pain, I regulary see the Orthopedic Surgeon for follow-ups, and I also see a Neurological Surgeon also... I have not yet begun to start any therapy and my recovery is listed currently at one year or more.

Life if a Chicken Farmer eh ?

I draw a small stipend from an insurance company 60 % of my wages... because I was smart enough to take the long term disability clause of the policy.. I stress to everyone out there, take this coverage if it is offered... Things do happen...

I signed up for Social Security and SSI, hopefully I will get it... Being that I cannot lift any thing over my head, cannot sit nor walk for long periods, I would like to see the job I am now qualified to perform.

My garden now is weedy.... I did not plant the 4500 sq. foot garden like in the last year, this year we grew a few maters, squash, and beans... Maybe next year the garden will be big again...

I sold off all my chickens at the end of last year, only to replenish them two-fold this year....

It is hard for me still to drive my stick shift truck so I am limite to what I can do.. So I sit at home or lay around on the couch.

Too much to say but really no time to type as I now hurt... I will say goodnite for now.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home